Keeping your valuables safe at the beach is a greater concern today than ever.
In a time where we rarely leave the house without money and at least a smartphone, theft at the beach is a legitimate concern for summer travellers.
Consider the Valuables We Take to The Beach
If you consider the items many automatically throw in their beach bag for a relaxing day at the beach; petty theft is a serious consideration. The big question is; how to protect your belongings at the beach.
Obviously, you will want to take some money for a day at the beach. You may be wearing your watch, have your smartphone and possibly your car keys with you.
You may even want to take your Kindle over a traditional book or magazine, an iPod or other music devices. And of course, if on holidays, many will have a camera.
The Beach is the Perfect Place for Thieves
Sadly, the beach can be a prime stomping ground for pickpockets and petty thieves. They know people will have their guard down and may not be watching their possessions while swimming or sunbathing.
And, it’s not just at the beach. Petty thieves target the poolside areas of resorts and beach clubs too.
So, how can you keep your valuables safe at the beach and make sure a relaxing day by the sea or pool is not ruined by thieves?
Here’s a look at some tips to help you keep your valuables safe on the beach as well as some of the best anti-theft beach bags and waterproof solutions for storing your valuables on the beach.
Take a Waterproof Smartphone Pouch
If you must take your smartphone to the beach or pool, consider a waterproof dry bag with a lanyard so you can take your phone in the water with you.
Many of the best waterproof dry bags for phones on the market today are completely waterproof as opposed to splash proof. Some even have touch sensitivity so you can continue to use them in the water for taking photos, video or even calls.
With the minimalist approach in mind, a smartphone pouch is also good for keeping some money, credit cards, keys and small jewellery.
Most are relatively inexpensive starting at as little as $7. Just make sure you have the lanyard securely around your neck or wrist while you swim.
The top three waterproof smartphone pouches on the market.
- Waterproof to 100 ft.
- Premium clamp and lanyard.
- Will float if accidentally dropped.
- Touch sensitive and talk through design.
- Crystal clear cover for beautiful photos anywhere.
- Will hold any device up to 6.3 inches diagonally.
- Five-year free replacement warranty.
- The most-reviewed waterproof dry bag for phones on Amazon.
- Waterproof to 100 ft.
- Maintains full touchscreen functionality of the phone.
- Clear windows for taking photos or checking emails.
- Great for underwater photos and video.
- Will hold any device up to 6 inches diagonally.
- Secure strap and a simple snap and lock access.
- Amazon’s number one best-selling waterproof bag in the “Marine Dry Bags” category.
- IPX8 rating makes it waterproof to 100 ft.
- Simple snap and lock closure.
- Cover offers full touch screen functionality under water.
- Can take photos and video through the clear cover.
- Comes as a two pack so is good value.
- Holds devices up to 6 inches diagonally.
Take Your Valuables in the Water With You
Use a Waterproof Dry Bag
If you really have to bring valuables with you that won’t fit in a small waterproof pouch, consider a larger dry bag to take swimming with you.
A good dry bag will float along on the surface next to you, like this Freegrace Waterproof Dry Bag, avoiding complete submersion. Always test with a plastic bag liner for any leaks before you trust your electronics to it.
Although, in this age of technology, unless you are buying a knock-off brand from SE Asia, most reputable brands will be reliable and watertight.
Wear a Waterproof Waist Pouch
Keep your valuables safe and dry and your hands-free with a waterproof pouch with a waistband. Fits snugly around your waist or crossbody leaving you free to enjoy your time in the water. It is also a little more discreet for smaller items.
- Made of durable and soft high-density PVC.
- 3 zip seals and fold over Velcro top keep your items safe and dry and the pouch.
- The soft, heavy duty material is touch screen responsive so you can use your touchscreen smartphone without opening the pack.
- Comes with 4 bonus opaque credit card size zip pouches to hide cash, ID and credit cards.
Invest in an Anti-Theft Beach Bag
Obviously, any anti-theft bag or backpack will suffice for the beach but the new anti-theft locking beach bags appearing on the market make great sense.
They are waterproof, have slash proof technology, can be locked to a fixed structure such as a sun lounge or fence and have advanced locking capabilities.
Our favourite, the CoolBag anti-theft beach bag also comes with dedicated cooler compartments which makes it absolutely perfect for all outdoor activities.
A good anti-theft or lockable beach bag is also suitable as an alternative airline carry on bag, so it is versatile for travel.
Two Best Anti Theft Beach Bags
- Meets airline regulations for carry-on luggage and holds up to 14.5 kilos.
- Puncture-proof zipper with a hidden combination lock.
- Light-weight, cut-resistant cotton liner.
- UV-resistant polyester bag with water-resistant panels.
- Padded straps with reinforced ten gauge stainless steel wire cable, attach the bag to any fixed structure such as beach chair or fence.
- Detachable backpack straps.
- Mesh pockets for cell phones and pockets for both magazines and tablet.
- RFID pocket to protect credit cards, room keys and ID.
- Separate, temperature controlled cooler fits seven 12 oz cans with additional pockets for wine.
- Locking connector to prevent entry into the bag from the cooler side.
- Carrysafe slash guard strap.
- RFID blocking pockets and material.
- Roobar™ deluxe locking system.
- Internal attachment point for wallets and keys.
- External attachment points for items such as jackets, towels or beach mats.
- Detachable straps.
- Wet/Dry separation.
- Heavy duty 1000D Nylonx900D Polyester construction.
- High-frequency welded seams to keep water out.
Anti Theft Pool Pouch
If you don’t need an entire beach bag, an anti theft pool pouch is perfect for e-readers, phones, keys, and cash. Great for cruise ships or by the pool in a resort where you don’t need to carry a lot of stuff.
Loop and lock the tether to your sun lounge to keep valuable safe while you swim or snooze.
- The medium size (7.5 x 9.5 inch) pouch is large enough for Kindles, E-Readers and other mini e-readers.
- Perfect for wallets, cash, medication, jewellery, and keys.
- Water-resistant nylon and water-proof zipper keeps valuables dry.
- Combination zipper lock with Vaultz Double Loop Tether cable for added security.
Beach Towel with Zip Pocket for Valuables
While not entirely theft proof, a beach towel with a zip pocket for small valuables is a very good idea and quite a clever way to hide valuables at the beach.
Keep smaller valuables like your phone in the pocket and out of sight while sunbathing so would-be thieves can’t snatch it while you have your eyes closed. Keep keys and small change both safe and on hand.
Towels like the DryFoxCo Quick Dry Microfiber Towel have a water-resistant pocket large enough for a phone, keys, change, sunglasses, even snacks! Hanging loops on the corners mean you can tie the towel to a sun lounge for added security.
Get a Portable Beach Safe
The portable beach safe is becoming so popular, some organised beaches and resorts have started hiring them to beachgoers.
If you want an alternative security solution to the anti-theft beach bag, or, don’t trust your electronics to a waterproof dry sack, then a portable beach or travel safe may be for you.
Portable safes come in all sizes so can hold laptops, cameras and tablets. They are also handy for keeping valuables safe in the hotel as well as the beach.
Obviously, you will need something to attach them to – a beach chair, umbrella or even a fence is sufficient to deter would-be thieves. These are a few of the more popular portable beach and travel safes on the market today.
While some are not cheap, some designs are a versatile travel investment.
Four Best Beach Safes
- Great for travel and the beach.
- Cut-Resistant, RFID Blocking, Integrally Locking Flap.
- No Cords to easily cut through.
- Durable five-layer construction.
- Heavy-duty, easily packable, flexible, and water resistant.
- Features belt loop, storage pockets, and padded carry strap.
- Can be secured to any fixed object.
- Our top pick for travel and the beach.
- Can be locked to a secure fixture to protect your valuables.
- Folds flat for easy packing when not in use.
- 360-degree exomesh stainless steel wire mesh embedded into poly canvas fabric to help prevent thieves from breaking into safe.
- TSA approved three-dial combination lock to secure stainless steel cable to a fixture.
- Large enough for up to a 15-inch laptop, tablet, camera, jewellery, and other small items.
- This portable safe ranks high for its quality, convenience affordability and durability.
- Indoor and outdoor lock box safe with 3-digit custom combination code + key access.
- Heavy-duty 17 in adjustable steel cable locks securely around almost any fixed object.
- Adjustable plug opening, so you can listen to music while your device is safely inside the box.
- Rust-resistant, nickel-plated lock.
- Lightweight abs plastic is extremely durable, impact and water-resistant.
- Large enough to hold wallets, watches, mobile phones, keys and bigger electronic devices such as tablets.
- Universal mount design fits on most beach furniture, railings, even bike or stroller frames.
- Reprogrammable top quality rental grade lock.
- Sleek design looks great on furniture.
- Sits up off the ground to keep belongings safe and secure.
- High grade, impact resistant, waterproof.
At the end of the day, petty theft and pickpockets are a fact of life no matter where we travel. Employing a little common sense and taking some simple precautions can go a long way to help you avoid becoming a victim of theft.