Whether you’re a coffee snob, or just can’t start the day without a decent brew, travelling can mean uncertainty in the style and quality of coffee you’re likely to find.
Coffee around the world ranges from seriously good to downright ghastly depending on your taste. And, in some places, it may not be readily available when you want it. We travelled the world full time for over six years and always found room for our trusty Moka pot in our very minimal luggage allowance.
While there are plenty of coffee makers on the market for RV’s & campers, travel coffee makers can be more limited. With this in mind, we’ve found some of the best portable and compact machines to make sure you get the caffeine fix of your choice when you’re on the go.
What To Look For in a Mobile Coffee Maker
Size, weight, and simplicity is the short answer.
Our prefered coffee is Italian espresso style which is why a small Moka Pot is a perfect travel coffee maker for us. It’s small, lightweight, durable, and easy to clean.
However, we are reliant on having access to a stove which is fine for us. As slow travellers, we often choose self-contained accommodation over hotels.
No matter your coffee style, whether its’ a French Press over a Moka Pot, you want to choose a coffee maker, that is:
- Doesn’t take up much room in your bag
- Has few parts & is easy to clean
- Makes the style of coffee you like
- Suits the method of travel you will be doing
Quick Guide To The Best Compact Travel Coffee Maker
|Image||Title||Click to Edit||Buy|
|Top||Aeropress Coffee and Espresso Maker||Weight: 377 grams. Easy to operate and clean. Makes 1 - 3 espressos per press. Ready in 30 seconds. Creates smooth, grit-free coffee.||Check Price|
|Top Top||AeroPress Go Portable Travel Coffee Press||Weight: 318 grams. Easy to clean with minimal waste. Makes 1 - 3 cups per press. One minute to brew. Makes grit-free coffee without the bitterness. Packs into its own travel cup for easy storage.||Check Price|
|Top Top||Bodum Travel Press||Weight: 385 grams. All in one French Press travel mug. The only waste/mess is coffee grounds, which stay in the mug. Makes 1 mug of coffee. Ready to plunge in 4 minutes.||Check Price|
|Top Top||Presto MyJo Single Cup Coffee Maker||Weight: 400 grams. Makes a single cup of coffee. Easy to clean - grounds stay in the pod. The pod is reusable so no waste or additional cost. Takes 30 - 60 seconds to brew.||Check Price|
|Top Top||CONQUECO Portable Espresso Maker||Weight: 880 grams. Makes one 45ml espresso per capsule. Only the cup needs cleaning - disposable capsule thrown away. Makes coffee in 5 seconds with hot water (takes 8 - 12 minutes to heat cold water). Uses Nespresso and L'OR capsules only.||Check Price|
|Top Top||Bialetti Moka Express StoveTop Coffee maker||Weighs 476 grams. Very sturdy. Makes 2 cups of espresso. Easy to wash. Less than 5 minutes to brew coffee. Makes robust, velvety espresso coffee.||Check Price|
|Top Top||Primula Brew Buddy Portable Pour Over, Reusable Fine Mesh Filter||Weight: 45 grams. No-fuss simple design. Makes a single cup of coffee. Dishwasher safe. 30 second brew time. Customise the strength of your coffee.||Check Price|
|Top||Cafflano All-in-One Portable Pour Over Coffee Maker||Weight: 470 grams. Makes one cup of coffee (250ml). Dishwasher safe - easy cleaning. Excellent brew in 3 - 4 minutes. Slow-drip for rich coffee taste.||Check Price|
Top Portable Coffee Makers Reviewed
Here are our top small travel coffee makers, with information to help you pick the best portable coffee maker for your travel needs.
The Aeropress coffee press is the ideal companion for travel. The unit is lightweight and robust so travels well, has few parts and is easy to clean and store. It only takes seconds to make a cup of coffee and produces a less bitter brew than other presses thanks to a shorter brew time at a lower temperature.
- Weighs 377 grams
- Easy to clean, with minimal waste
- Makes 1 – 3 espressos per pressing
- Ready in 30 seconds
- Makes smooth, grit-free coffee
- Simple to use
- Quick and flavourful coffee
- No mug included
- The filters can be difficult to come by on the road
Much like the Aeropress portable espresso maker, this on-the-go coffee press is ideal to use at home and on the road. Designed with travel in mind, the Aeropress Go comes with its own travel coffee mug for your perfectly pressed brew and packs down into its own cup for easy storage.
- Weighs just 318 grams
- Easy to clean and leaves minimal waste
- Makes 1 – 3 cups per pressing
- One minute to brew
- Makes grit-free coffee without the bitterness
- Packs into its own cup for storage
- Travel mug included
- Compact and easy to pack
- Like the larger model, requires paper filters
This handy all in one French Press travel mug has a built-in press for the perfect on-the-go coffee maker. Have delicious coffee anywhere – heading to work, waiting for your flight, or during an early morning safari trip. The self brewing coffee mug has a spill-proof lid and colourful silicone non-slip grip. It can also be used for brewing tea.
- Weighs 385 grams
- The only waste/mess is coffee grounds, which stay in the mug
- Makes 1 mug of coffee
- Ready to plunge in 4 minutes
- Enjoy good French-press style coffee
- Travel mug coffee maker – two in one
- Stainless steel thermos mug keeps liquids hot
- Also perfect for brewing tea
- Harder to add cream and sugar if you enjoy those
Keep this little caffeine machine in your bag and enjoy your favourite coffee literally anywhere. Using the reusable k-way cups, filled with your choice of ground coffee, you can press a stunning cuppa at home, or your hotel. You can heat the water in the microwaveable water reservoir which makes it very versatile for travel.
- Weighs 400 grams
- Makes a single cup of coffee
- Easy to clean – grounds stay in the pod
- Takes 30 – 60 seconds to brew
- Slow pressing makes a good, strong cup of coffee
- Comes with a reusable pod
- Microwaveable water reservoir
- Pressing too quickly results in weak coffee
- No mug included
The CONQUECO is the ultimate portable coffee maker for travel for barista quality Nespresso coffee.
Get instant aromatic coffee when used with hot water or heat cold water in the unit for coffee when you’re out and about. The unit fits into most standard cup holders, and backpack water bottle holders, so it is perfect for travel. The portable coffee maker also comes with a standard 12v car charger so you can charge or heat in the car or camper.
- Weighs 880 grams
- Makes one 45ml espresso per capsule
- Only the cup needs cleaning – disposable capsule thrown away
- Makes coffee in 5 seconds with hot water (takes 8 – 12 minutes to heat cold water)
- Uses only Nespresso and L’OR capsules
- Wall and car chargers included.
- Travel cup included.
- Quality espresso-style coffee in a convenient unit.
- Unlike filter or press style makers, it won’t work if not charged.
- On the heavier side.
- Only uses original Nespresso & L’OR capsules
Coffee snob? We get it – why have coffee unless you’re having good coffee, right? Which is what makes Bialetti an essential item on many packing lists.
Best for camping, or vacations where you have access to a stovetop, this travel coffee maker promises a gorgeous cup of Italian quality coffee every morning. As we said, we travelled the world for six years with one of these in our bag and were grateful for it every day. We add hot milk for a cafe-quality latte.
- Weighs 476 grams
- Makes 2 espresso cups
- Easy to wash
- Less than 5 minutes to brew coffee
- Makes robust, velvety espresso coffee
- Lightweight & robust
- Easy to use
- Perfect camping travel coffee pot
Need a stove top to use.
Meet your new travel coffee pal – the Brew Buddy. This compact mesh filter allows you to whip out your mug and boiling water and instantly make a great cup of coffee – anywhere, anytime. It doesn’t get much more compact and straightforward than this.
- Weighs 45 grams
- Makes a single cup of coffee
- Dump coffee grounds and hand wash or put in a dishwasher to clean
- Just 30 seconds to a delicious cup of coffee
- Customize the strength of your coffee to your preferences
- Small enough to slip into a purse
- Fits over most standard coffee mugs
- Super lightweight
- Dumping coffee grounds can be messy on the go
If you enjoy bean-to-cup coffee, you’re going to love the Cafflano. This all-in-one portable drip coffee maker has a bean-grinder, a drip kettle, a travel coffee filter, and an insulated mug. All you need is beans and hot water and you’ve got a cup of great-tasting coffee in minutes.
- Weighs 470 grams
- Makes one cup of coffee (250ml)
- Dishwasher safe – easy cleaning
- Excellent brew in 3 – 4 minutes
- Slow-drip your way to a rich coffee taste
- All-in-one coffee maker.
- Fits together in a compact design.
- Lots of removable parts which may be tricky to travel with.
Find Your Perfect Travel Coffee Maker
Being away from home doesn’t mean you have to give up all home comforts. A travel espresso maker means you can enjoy your favourite brew wherever you find yourself.
Finding the best portable coffee maker for you will depend on the kind of coffee you prefer, how much time and effort you’re willing to put into the perfect cup and your style of travel. You may even have two, for the different types of travel you do.
The great thing is we are spoilt for choice and can pick between pods, machines, pour-overs, and even a full travel coffee pot for the perfect espresso. Once you find it, a good travel coffee maker will be a welcome addition to any packing list for every kind of adventure.